Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Super Tuesday Recap


After Super Tuesday, there were some minor surprises, but all in all, things went the way they were predicted to go in the Democratic side: no clear winner was decided. Despite the fact that Hillary Clinton won more delegates last night, the fact that Clinton was leading these polls by 20, 30 points a month ago showcases the fact that Obama is closing the gap. And that's what the Obama campaign wanted to do: continue to catch up.

Personally, I would like to see this race play itself out. Everyone says that this is a historic election, and it is, so why not let it unravel? The advantage for Barack Obama is that he has the money and the momentum. Acquiring over $30 million in January WITHOUT the help of lobbyists is shocking. Many people are starting to get the message that Obama can bring about the most change and can unite the country the best.

One thing that I was scratching my head at was why they were calling states when they had 2% or 3% reported. I watched it on MSNBC, and I don't know how CNN or some of the other stations handled it. It was interesting to see Hillary take charge in Missouri, and then Obama storm back to take the edge in Missouri. However, both will take 30 delegates from the state.

I was disappointed by the results in Massachusetts and Arizona. Obama got the endorsements of Deval Patrick, the governor of Massachusetts, and the two Senators, Ted Kennedy and John Kerry. However, Obama only got 37 delegates in Massachusetts. Clinton, by comparison, was able to garner 54 in Massachusetts. In Arizona, where Obama had the support of Governor Janet Nopolitano, also ended up on the short end of the stick.

Hillary Clinton routed Obama in California, which was surprising to me. Some of it may have to do with the fact that a sizable portion of the California population voted early, before Obama began to make this big comeback. Nonetheless, I would have hoped that Obama would have garnered more of the delegates in California.

This was not a bad night for Obama by any stretch of the imagination. Winning Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Georgia, as well as the caucus states was a statement for Obama. Remember, this race is far from over. Over half of the delegates are yet to be grabbed. Assuming Obama will continue to take this momentum, he will be the next President of the United States of America.

I know some people are probably wondering why I am not posting about Shaquille O'Neal's move to Phoenix. Forgive me if I prioritize the next President of the United States over a trade in the NBA. I will post about the Shaq trade later this week. For now, I'm going to peace-out.

No comments: