Saturday, December 29, 2007

2007 Year in Review: Part I

Well, 2007 is finally coming to a close as people around the world eagerly await for 2008, a year in which I hope this website can achieve great success. In my first post regarding news and politics, I'd like to take a look back on the last 12 months, and providing outlooks for the future.

At the start of the year, Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the Democrats took over the House and Senate. Right off the jump, the Democrats did not agree with George W. Bush on anything, and they had a very ambitious agenda. Despite their genuine goals, most would not come to fruition. Although some work has been made, such as raising the minimum wage, the Democrats did not achieve their main goal: bringing our troops home.

Months passed by and then suddenly, news broke out about a Virginia Tech school shooting. A troubled student killed over 30 people, including himself. This young man was obviously disturbed, but this society cannot keep letting this happen. We have to reach out to our youth. It was an unfortunate event, but hopefully it will be a warning to all parents to make sure your kids are in line. One of my philosophies is that if you don't deal with your kid today, someone else is going to deal with him or her tomorrow. We need to make sure we keep our youth in line.

As we headed into summer, the iPhone was released and the distribution of the final Harry Potter book had a lot of buzz too. In July, one of my friends told me about the Jena Six, and that really shocked me. It's 2007 and we shouldn't be having all of these injustices and these corrupt judges and District Attorneys. Speaking of corrupt DAs, Mike Nifong was disbarred for making ethically questionable decisions in the handling of the Duke Lacrosse case.

Going back to the Jena Six, I was surprised that few rappers stood up after they heard about this. These are the same rappers that rap about how much ice, cars, and money they have, but they can't spend their money and invest in some important stuff like bailing out the Jena Six. If I had that kind of money, I'd invest it in that right there. These kids are our future.

Another big story was the bridge in Minnesota collapsing. Several people died that day in a tragic occurrence. I was happy that immediate aid came to in Minnesota, but where was the immediate aid for the victims down in Katrina? Those kinds of things have me scratching my head.

As 2007 started to undergo its steady decline in August, there was a big story about how there were poisonous toys coming in from China. Barry Bonds broke Hank Aaron's all-time home run record in the Fall as well. But who cares about that? This man was on steroids. He doesn't deserve to be in that record book. Hit homers the fair and legal way and then come talk to me.

Karl Rove announced his resignation from the White House in late August. The bolting of the Deputy Chief of Staff was similar to Donald Rumsfeld's resignation as Secretary of Defense in 2006. Senator Larry Craig pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct in a public bathroom in an airport and then asks to withdraw his guilty plea. I am not going to speculate as to what Craig's sexual orientation is, but he claimed he pleaded guilty to not have the story escalate, when it blew up in his face.

Michael Vick pleaded guilty as well, and was sentenced to over a year in prison. I cannot condone that action and he is going to have to pay for it. However, I was wondering why this got so much media coverage. The NFL is probably better without Vick, and news started to die down about the War in Iraq, a terrible miscalculation costing America a myriad of lives.

In late September, thousands of people gathered in protest of the injustice from what conspired with the Jena Six. This was a great step as we yelled and America heard us, but everything went back to normal in Jena a few days later. But I was glad to hear when Mychal Bell would be able to be a free man.

In October, there were a bunch of fires in California. That was an unfortunate event. Also, on October 24, the House passed H.R. 1955, a bill that could take away our freedom of thought. If you haven't heard about it, look it up; because our Constitutional rights are being stripped from us. We can't be apathetic to this in 2008.

Al Gore also won the Nobel Peace Prize in October, and I was glad that happened. After watching his movie An Inconvenient Truth, I was really shocked and I wrote letters to local Congressmen. It's funny that Gore can win the Nobel Peace Prize but he can't beat George W. Bush in an election.

There was a lot of useless media coverage of no importance, such as Britney Spears shaving her head, Paris Hilton going to jail, etc. We need to be focused on more important issues than Britney Spears being pantyless. Keep in mind that this is only my opinion. If you and I have a difference of agreement, I would love to have a conversation with you. Also, keep in mind that this is only Part I. I'll get to more things in Part II. Stay tuned. And remember, whether you like it or not, the truth is the truth.

No comments: